[mythtv-users] is there a simple recording status light avaliable?

David George david at thegeorges.us
Wed May 4 20:29:50 UTC 2005

On 5/4/2005 2:55 PM, Christopher David Petersen wrote:

> On 5/4/05, *James Armstrong* <james at thearmstrongs.org
> <mailto:james at thearmstrongs.org>> wrote:
>

>     You can probably make it simpler by just querying the master
>     backend for
>     the status. It will do tuner status, disk space free, and we recently
>     added a patch that will provide the epg guide data status for the
>     Mythled project we did. That way you won't need new tables (except if
>     you really want to do your stats) and talk to one location.
>

> Do tell more! I don't want to duplicate a previous (and probably
> better) solution.

Oops, guess I should have read this message before I clicked send.  My
other email will answer a lot of the questions you asked below.

<snip some good info on MythLEDd internals>

> The project I'd really like to produce is a solder-free parallel port
> LED kit. I can almost do it with an old DB25 serial port header (from
> old 386/486 computers) and LEDs with integrated resistors. But finding
> suitable LEDs with integrated resistors is difficult (ie. not as easy
> as a walk to the local RadioShack).

Mail order may be the best option for LEDs with integrated resistors (
http://digikey.com maybe).

> Any suggestions?

Worthy goal.  The parallel port will limit you to 8 bits.  If you want
to use the bi-color LEDs that will limit you to 3 tuners and 2 status
LEDs (or 4 tuner and no status).

What we did was take an Allegro Micro driver chip and send serial data
to it to set the status of the individual LEDs.  See the mythmon README
for more information.

--
David

HDTV frontend I'm working on (pictures, mythmon source)
  http://mythhd.info