[mythtv-users] Partial black screen viewing recordings

Todd Flinders flindet at comcast.net
Wed May 4 13:45:22 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm having a problem that causes most of my screen (but not all) to be black
when playing recordings.  When I cat /dev/video? >> sometest.mpg, each of my
tuners seem to record and play back correctly.  When a scheduled recording is
being played back on Myth, I can hear the sound just fine, and the video at
about an inch from the top and bottom of the screen is just fine.  The rest
is covered by a black bar.

What's curious is that up until yesterday I was having this same problem while
watching live tv (coupled with a segfault).  Wandering around manually
through the mythconverg database (I had actually completely rebuilt this
database, but my problem persisted), I found that in the capturecard table,
my vbidevice was set to null for each of the cards.

I don't know much about tuner cards (I'm new to all this), but I made some
logical guesses, and assigned vbi0 to video0, vbi1 to video1, and vbi2 to
video2.  This seems to have fixed (though it's still a bit early to know for
sure) my live TV problem.  It's curious, though, that the recordings are
having this problems (oh, and these recordings were recorded AFTER my vbi
"fix").

Does anyone have any ideas of what settings I might check to get the
recordings to play correctly?  Or if you have ideas of why my vbi setting
changes might have affected my live tv watching, that might yield clues
regarding the recording playback.

Thanks for your help!

I'm using MythTV 0.18 with ivtv 2.0.  I'm using the TV-out on my Hauppage
PVR-350 (I've told Myth to use it for playback), and I also have two Hauppage
PVR-250's.  I'm running Fedora Core 3, and used Jarod's guide to set it up.