[mythtv-users] mythbackend won't idle until mythfrontend disconnects

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed May 4 05:18:27 UTC 2005

On 5/4/05, Max Barry <mythtv at maxbarry.com> wrote:

> It was all working so nicely until 0.18. My combined backend/frontend
> box would wake itself up, record something, then go back to sleep.
>
> Now, however, it refuses to idle if mythfrontend is running. Which is a
> problem, because I have mythfrontend start automatically on boot.
> Previously, this didn't stop mythbackend from declaring itself idle.
> Now, for some reason, it does.
>
> Is this a deliberate change in 0.18? Is there a way to stop mythfrontend
> from blocking mythbackend's idling?

Max,

I''m still running 0.16, and my backend will never idle unless there
are no frontend connections to it. I use nvram-wakeup but start the
frontend via the remote when I need it. That way, if automated
recording occur during the day or night when we're not around, it just
turns itself off again.

However, just checking the mythconverg database (v0.16) - in the
SETTINGS table there is a variable 'blockSDWUwithoutClient' which may
allow this behaviour to be overridden. (Mine is set to 1 and the
machine won't idle if a frontend is connected)

Maybe give it a whirl and see if this cures the problem.

HTH,
Nick