[mythtv-users] PVR-250 - Approximately 2GB/Hr.?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 22:51:33 UTC 2005

Actually, MythTV does have "canned" settings for the
recording profiles for MPEG-2.  I believe that they
are 4.5Mbps minimum, 6Mbps maximum, with a 480x480
capture resolution.

The minimum and maximum values are what the sliders
(for bitrate) and the boxes (for the resolution) will
allow.  On the capture resolution, it is up to 720x480
(or 576 for PAL), for the bitrate, I'm not sure, but I
think that the PVR-250 will support up to 15Mbps (I
have successfully captured this high outside of
MythTV), just using "cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg".

Are you sure that you were setting the correct
profiles?  By default, the "Default" profile is used
for nearly everything, and you must set the MPEG-2
recording profiles, not the RTJPEG ones.

I have a PVR-500 (and a PVR-250), so I set my profiles
(all of them) to 720x480, but I don't recall the
bitrate.  I can't remember if I'm using the default,
or if I increased the bitrate.  But I definitely
changed the capture resolution.

-- Joe