[mythtv-users] Ditched the Epia and bought a Aopen XCu be with Nforce 2 chipset - best move ever!

Barker Thomas TBARKER at qinetiq.com
Tue May 3 10:10:11 UTC 2005

I was running a frontend and backend on an EPIA m10k for the last 8 months
or so. It was ok, a little slow and always a pain to compile, transcode, get
the h/w mpeg2 decoder working. I finally gave in the other day and decided
to move for an easier faster life.

I shall be ebaying my old epia very soon I think.

For £150 I got a nforce 2 aopen xcube, dvd 16x dual layer writer and a
sempron 2600, I used my old hard drive (120gb) and old mem (512). 200W power
supply also so still no worries with leaving it on 24/7.

The cube itself has onboard audio and geforce mx 4 etc.. After installing
FC3 from scratch and and setting up ATRPMS and getting mythtv-suite. A few
configurations and a mysql source all is back to normal. And so much faster
and smoother than ever before.

I did try using XVMC acceleration for displaying live tv, but disliked the
fact things were in B/W and also it seemed very sketching, kinda streaking
with white lines, so I turned that off. CPU usage without XvMc is laughable
anyhow so makes no odds.

I must say im impressed with the dvd rip facility, wish you could specify
lower bit rates though.

One thing I wish we could sort out, is burning files to dvd.

I see mythburn and nuv2burn (or some similar name) made a good start, but
haven't got too far yet. Would be nice to see.

Many thanx

Tom

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information
is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Emails and other electronic communication with QinetiQ may be monitored.
Calls to QinetiQ may be recorded for quality control,
regulatory and monitoring purposes.