[mythtv-users] apt-get update problems and problems upgrading

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon May 2 15:11:41 UTC 2005

Bill Seisler wrote:

>I've had mythtv running for a little while now using FC3 and 0.17. I
>originally set the system up using Jarod's guide (which is awesome).
>apt-get update returned bunzip2 errors (error code (2)) with some of
>the locations it tried to grab the new lists from. I have plenty of
>disk space available. I am behind a firewall and router, I use DSL,
>but I never had this problem before. (Specifically, when setting up
>the box.) I have searched through the Atrpm's archive and the
>myth-users archive and found nothing that seems to help. I
>re-installed the latest version of bzip from the rpm (version 1.0.2)
>which was what I was running before, and that didn't help.

Just an FYI, not really a solution to your problem, but I subscribe to
the "if it ain't broke dont' fix it" philosophy.  In my short time
working the Myth I've seen more people pose questions with problems
start with "I did an apt-get update/upgrade and now..."

If you're trying just to upgrade MythTV to 0.18, don't upgrade your
entire system with apt-get including the kernel.  You're changing too
many variables to make it easy to diagnose what the problem is.
Instead, just update what is required by upgrading MythTV only and I
think you'll find you have far fewer issues.  This is why my master
backend is still running Redhat 9 and I don't do apt-get upgrade on it
for anything unless something breaks.

Kevin