[mythtv-users] Recordings spontaneously slow down

Craig Read craigread at csi.com
Mon May 2 04:09:12 UTC 2005

Philip Nelson wrote:

>>I've been having a problem for a while (but only since switching to
>>.17), where occasionally, partway through recording something, it will
>>suddenly slow down -- the  video slows to about 70% normal speed, and
>>the audio drops in pitch accordingly.  It doesn't happen all the time,
>>and I cannot reproduce it, nor do I have any idea as to what causes it.
>>I know that the problem is during recording, because if I export the
>>.nuv to another format, the problem remains.  Has anybody else had this
>>problem?
>>

>I am having either the same problem as you or something similar (also
>happened since 0.17) - part way through a recording, quite randomly, sound
>drops out totally and video slows right down. Eventually (perhaps 5-10
>minutes) it speeds up again, but audio doesn't come back - it's very
>frustrating.

That's exactly the same problem I'm having Philip.  I'm in Australia and
it's only occurring  on 3 channels (9, 7 and 10), but doesn't happen on
2 or SBS.

>Are you using dvb? For me, when this happens, the mpeg stream goes bad for
>a second or two (as if I've got a low signal, but I don't think I do),
>audio then cuts out and video goes slow. It seems to happen quite
>randomly, and has happened when I've been watching live tv - I changed
>channels, changed back and it was fine again.

I am using dvb (two Twinhan DST cards), and it does seem to happen when
I get poor signal for a second or two (either due to signal problems or
the back-end not keeping up with error correction).  I haven't noticed
it while watching live tv, but I don't use the box to watch live tv.

Craig...