[mythtv-users] Questions and feature requests

Howard Cokl hojoloco at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 23:54:33 UTC 2005

--- "Tom E. Craddock Jr." <sigtom at sigtom.com> wrote:
> > 3.  Why can't I change inputs from inside the EPG?
>  The backend knows how to
> > do this.  If I turn on my TV it defaults to
> DirecTV, which is what I want,
> > but if I browse the EPG looking for something to
> watch or am just flipping
> > around, it would be really nice if I could select
> an HDTV channel.
>
> HDTV channels are on a different card (pchdtv3k as
> opposed to the svideo
> in on the freestyle).   There is no mechanism in
> place to have the EPG
> know that it needs to, in effect, press the C button
> to change cards, or
> to know that it needs to, in effect, press Y to
> change inputs.  If youd
> like to code it up, a patch is always welcome.
> Plenty of people have
> asked for this, but apparently its not wanted/needed
> that bad as its not
> been worked on.  I just bound a key on my remote to
> the C and Y keys and
> use it, not that much harder, one extra keystroke.
>

> Tom

I poked around a bit before sending that email, please
correct me if I have things wrong, but I don't think
the epg does anything for changing channels other than
passing a channelid to mythfrontend which makes a
request to the backend to change the channel.  So
AFAIK the feature I requested would be for the backend
to honor a chanid of xXXX wher x is the input and XXX
is the channel and know what to do if x is not the
current cardinput.  Having said all of that, which is
quite probably completely wrong, there is no way that
I could write a patch to make that happen.  So if
someone brighter than I can't/won't do it then I'll
live with it.
Yes dear I'll be right down to switch the TV for you
to American Idol during this commercial break, luckily
I was on the way to the fridge to grab another beer anyway.