[mythtv-users] Questions and feature requests

Howard Cokl hojoloco at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 23:18:13 UTC 2005

First I would like to thank all of the developers and every one else that
makes mythtv the tivo killer it is.  I love it and pretty much have my wife
hooked on it too.  I do have some questions as I debate expanding my single
backend/frontend combo.  First off I have an athlon 2700+, 512M, Hauppauge
freestyle, pcHDTV 3K, FC3 set up via Jarod's guide, capturing DirceTV via
s-video and OTA for the pcHDTV3K.  On to the questions:
1.  Is there any way for a remote frontend to use the backend's dvd, I guess
similar to using a remote tape device for backup?  It would be really nice to
be able to start watching a dvd in the family room and then bookmark the spot
- esc, move to the bedroom, select play dvd and pick up where I left off ( I
know not with mplayer or xine, see question 2).
2.  Why isn't mythtv the default player for VCD and DVD, it seems to play my
small collection of videos just fine, which include .vob, and various .avi
(xvid, divx5)?  If I use mythtv as the default player for dvd/video does
bookmarking work?
3.  Why can't I change inputs from inside the EPG?  The backend knows how to
do this.  If I turn on my TV it defaults to DirecTV, which is what I want,
but if I browse the EPG looking for something to watch or am just flipping
around, it would be really nice if I could select an HDTV channel.  Just
basic channel surfing, I'm thinking of consolidating all 3 of my DirecTV
receivers in a closet with a master backend/family room frontned.
4.  In mythfrontend setup - appearance - screen size, is there any way I can
type in numbers as oppsed to the left/right arrow increasing/decreasing the
size?  I also use my PC as a remote frontend and some things I would like to
watch in a window, some things I would like to watch full screen.  Is this
something that I missed?

Thanks for any help or pointers you can give on these, and thanks again for
mythtv and all the help from the forums.

--
Howard Cokl
"in a world without walls and fences,