[mythtv-users] No sound in mythtv, but other applications use sound fine

Kendric Beachey kendric.beachey at gmail.com
Sun May 1 14:16:17 UTC 2005

I had pretty much the same problem recently.  A good friend gave me this advice:

You need to look into using the "dmix" functionality of ALSA instead
of the deprecated (on 2.6 kernels) OSS sound platform.

Look at http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/DigitalSoundHowTo to see about
setting up an .asoundrc. Mostly you download the one he provides and
probably change the "device" parts inside it to correspond to your
digital output. Also uncomment the appropriate line to pick what you
want as "default".

Then type this in as the sound device in myth "ALSA:mixed-analog".

To use Myth's volume control with ALSA it's as simple as
putting "mixed-analog" (as opposed to "ALSA:mixed-analog" in the sound
device part) in the mixer device setting.  I left "Master" in the
control part.

In /etc/mplayer.conf, set "ao=alsa:device=mixed-analog"

If you use arts in KDE (which is the default), tell it to use the
mixed-analog too.  Go into sound system settings, force it to use
ALSA, and override the device location and put mixed-analog in there.

Then go ahead and play some Metallica in noatun or Juk while you watch
TV or a recording.  Listen the sounds mix!

Hope this helps.
--
Kendric Beachey