[mythtv-users] How well does commercial detection work?

Curtis Stanford curtis at stanfordcomputing.com
Thu Mar 31 22:16:06 UTC 2005

On Mar 31, 2005, at 3:03 PM, John Patrick Poet wrote:

>> Thanks.  The strict code is too strict for some people, possibly
>> because of
>> noisy TV signals or the fact that different analog capture cards will
>> not
>> have the same exact output when converted to digital.  I turned
>> Strict on
>> myself as I think the original code worked better for me on a lot of
>> shows
>> as well so I'll see if it helps in my case also.
>>

> The "strict" code definitely works better for me.  Not 100% perfect,
> but I
> doubt it can ever be 100%.
>
> When it does make a mistake, it is the "right" kind.  In other words it
> shows a commercial, rather than skipping part of the show.  After
> checking a
> dozen shows, it only wanted to skip a small part of the show twice.
>
> Great work.  Thank you.

I agree, the strict option does help a lot. It's hard to be objective
about it but it seems just about as good as it was when the ALL option
was first introduced. I'm wondering if my picture is confusing it. My
cable box produces light and dark lines that scroll up the picture
constantly. Very subtle, but it might confuse the commercial scanner.

Curtis