[mythtv-users] S-video & widescreen - both in and out

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 19:20:17 UTC 2005

I have a box running Myth 0.17 with a NVidia MX4000 card, 2 DVB-T cards
and a PVR350.

I've currently doing video out by S-Video (may move to vga/SCART later
but thats not convenient right now).  Quality is suprisingly good.  The
TV picks the signal up and widescreens it (I can select this and have a
centreboxed 4:3 image instead).  Experimentation appears to show that
the NVidia TV-out is only happy with a standard 4:3 resolution - I tried
to set up a 16:9 aspect ratio display and I get messages that those
modes don't work with TV-Out.  So I am getting stretched pixels.

Is there any appropriate setting set that would allow Myth to know
about/correct for the image stretching - widescreen uis getting
letterboxed and stretched so I'm seeing some really wide people!

Alternatively anyone know a way of talking the NVidia stuff into
handling a wider aspect ratio output so I can get something close to
square pixels?

On the input, I have the PVR-350 hooked to a sky box which habitually
outputs in a 16:9 format.  The PVR350 card is compressing those into a
4:3 ratio - and the settings within Myth do not let me set anything
corresponding to PAL widescreen pixel sizes.

Any indicators as to the best way to deal with this would be great.

Cheers
    Nigel.