[mythtv-users] EIT vs Zap2it

cythrault at gmail.com cythrault at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 03:31:48 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've been fiddling with EIT for some days now and I was wondering if
someone could shed some light on a few things or at least confirm my
experience.

Since the dawn of my myth setup, I've been using Zap2it to fetch
program info. I always found that the EIT data on my IRD was receiving
was more precise EPG as it often contained pertinent subtitles and
descriptions that zap2it did not carry for some shows.

So, I was ecstatic when EIT started working on my system, thanks to
the major DVB revamping of 0.17 and the numerous EIT and DVB patches
since.

My provider only broadcast 2 days worth of EPG. So, I was planning to
continue using zap2it to get 14 days of EPG and use the EIT to daily
overwrite the less precise EPG.

Unfortunately, it seems that the EIT code will detect duplicates (or
simply won't request it, I have not run -v siparser for long :) and
won't update. Also, using Zap2it in conjunction with EIT, some (a)
show(s) will appear twice in the guide. I've seen it happen on a show
schedule to start at :59 instead of :00.

This is not really a problem since I start almost all my schedules one
minute early. Still, I wanted to point that out.

Also, during my tests, I found that, even with "dvb on demand"
disabled, the EIT won't download. I have to tune to a channel when the
EPG is available.

Last point, using this series of events, from an empty program table:

- Start the backend and tune to a channel when EIT is available (fetch the EPG)
- Wait for the manual schedule to end and "delete from program"
- Re-tune to the same channel and attempt to fetch the EPG

The EIT won't be requested unless I start/stop the backend.

All of this is probably by design tho. I just want to confirm.

That's it.
cyth