[mythtv-users] settop box with peritel output

Jakob Fix jakob.fix at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 20:20:07 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am in the planning phase for my myth box (for quite some time ... :-)

First some background:  I am living in France, and ISPs here offer
settop boxes for the ADSL connexions.  I am with a provider called
Free (http://adsl.free.fr) who offers the "freebox" which is as they
say a "triple play" terminal, ie it provides me with 10MBit/s (the
adverts say up to 20MBit/s) internet access, TV channels, and free
voip telephone.

For the tv functionality they provide a "peritel" output (I'm pretty
sure it's not the correct term, and may be called differently
elsewhere), it's this almost rectangular plug except that one of the
short sides of the rectangle being slightly "skewed".

I read in a forum
(http://forums.grenouille.com/index.php?showtopic=14658, it's in
French but with lots of pictures) a way to connect the peritel output
to a video acquisition card (the one shown is an external USB device
from Dazzle).

I'd like to know whether people on this list have experience with this
kind of setup, and what kind of internal video acquisition cards they
can recommend for this scenario.  My current tv card is a Leadtek
Winfast which only has a RCA connector.

Unlike the intended purpose (to put the box underneath or on top of
the telly), I'd like to connect it to my myth(ical) backend in the
garage and watch the output on a frontend ...

Thanks for any input.

--
cheers,
Jakob.