[mythtv-users] Commercial skip, cutlist, auto skip, and editing.

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Mar 30 18:27:22 UTC 2005

> When a video has been commercial flagged and then the
> video editor is brought up for that video, no cut sections
> are displayed until I hit *z* on the keyboard.  Does this
> essentially load the cut list with with data from commercial
> flagging?  Is the cut list generated in this manner independent
> of the commercial cut list?  That is to say, if I modify this
> cut list, those modifications have no effect on the cut list
> for commercials?

The cutlist and commercial skip list are two separate
lists and are treated separately.  The only interaction between
the two is when you hit 'Z' in the editor which tells Myth to
copy the commercial skip list to the cutlist.

> When I create a cut list via the video editor, the commercial
> skip mode (on, off, notify) doesn't seem to have any affect.

If a cutlist exists, it is always used and overrides any
commercial skip list present for a recording.  So the commercial
auto-skip mode has no effect if you have a cutlist present for
a recording.

> When I set auto commercial skip mode to anything except *off*,
> skipping only occurs if I first enter the editor and then press
> *z*.

There was a bug in older versions of Myth that would cause
the auto-skip to not work for anything but the first skip, so
if you are running an older version, you may be running into
this.  If you do now have a cutlist (ie, you didn't create one
or you used 'Q' to delete the cutlist from within the editor),
and you set Auto-Commercial Skip to ON, then the commercial
skip list is used and commercials marked will be skipped
automatically.  If you set Auto-Skip to Notify or Pre-Notify,
then a OSD popup will occur informing you when a commercial
starts so you can use the 'Z' key to manually skip the commercial.
If you have Auto-Skip OFF, you have no notification and must
still hit 'Z' to skip commercials (read the keys.txt for
more descriptios of the keys).

> Additionally, if I set auto commercial skip mode to *notify*,
> I am not notifed and the cut section is just skipped.  Is this
> because at this point skipping is unconditionally occurring as a
> result of having a valid cut list?

I think this may be because you created a cutlist and didn't clear
it using 'Q' inside the editor.

--

Chris