[mythtv-users] Where to (really) buy an Air2PC -or- should I get a HD-3000?

Wed Mar 30 16:33:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Paul B. Henson wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Seth Heckard wrote:
>
> > I've had a Air2PC on backorder from cyberestore for a while now, and
> > just checked on the status to see that it's delayed until May or June.
> > Not only that, but it will use a new chipset that probably won't be
> > supported initially.
>
> yes, but on the bright side the new chipset will have a 5th generation
> tuner :). I actually have three units on back order myself and share your
> pain <sigh>...

The "5th generation" Samsung table-top HD tunners are supposed to be amazing.

> > Other than cyberestore and the mythtv store listed on froogle, is there
> > anywhere to actually get these cards?  A lot of people on this list seem
> > to have them, yet nowhere on the internet seems to have them in stock.
>
> they are completely out of stock, the manufacturer simply needs to make
> more.
>
> > I have read that the Air2PC card is "better" in the QAM department.  If
> > I get impatient and go for a HD-3000, would I be missing anything?
>
> Actually, it appears the original Air2PC had some unresolvable hardware
> issues with QAM. They are supposed to be fixed in the new version. I
> believe the HD-3000 is QAM capable, but don't know how it compares to the
> as yet unavailable new version of them Air2PC.

I have three HD-3000.  They have been working beautifully for me.  I have
used both the V4L2 and the DVB drivers, and both seem to work very well.

I played with QAM just enough to discover that only three of my six OTA
stations are available via QAM.

> I originally decided on the Air2PC because it was supposed to have a better
> tuner with greater success in the face of marginal signals. On the other
> hand, it seems a lot of people are happy with their HD-3000's, so if you
> can't wait...

I have clear line of sight to the broadcast towers, so I cannot give a
report of how well the HD-3000 handles poor signals.

I will say that I have over 100' of coax between my antenna and my office
where the HD-3000's are.  That coax has one split at about 25', and then
three more splits to feed the three HD-3000.  If anything, my HD-3000s
indicate that the signal they are getting is too *strong*.  My HD picture
has been pristine with this setup.

John