[mythtv-users] MYthTV replacement for Intercom?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Mar 30 16:05:00 UTC 2005

> > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:22:12 -0500, PAUL WILLIAMSON
> > <pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> wrote:
> > > I'm an open book at this point.  I know I need:
> > >
> > > USB Camera
> > > Microphone
> > > Speakers (thinking of in wall or in-ceiling kind)
> > > ~15 or 17 inch monitor
> > > PC
> > > Wireless keyboard
> > > Programmable remote
> > >
> > > With this setup, I figure I can give the residents
> > > of each room a full featured PC for browsing,
> > > watching TV, potential (video) phone, room to
> > > room calling, access to all the typical mythtv
> > > functionality, etc.
>
> are these going to be inwall units replacing your existing
> intercom?  or are you going to just have stand alone
> systems in each room?  i wonder if you could get a bulk
> order on some of the nano epia boards and small touchscreen
> lcds..?  maybe you could even fit the entire unit in the original
> opening. :)

The plan is that they will be in-wall units, put either in to the
original opening or otherwise hidden.  My goal is to not have
to patch the holes, but just cover them ;-)

I'd like to get big touchscreens, but regular LCDs will be fine,
especially since I'm planning to put a KB/Mouse/Remote in
the room as well.

I think I'll need a total of six units identically configured.
I just added a second backend last night.  I haven't had
time to check if the pvr-250 works with the frontends
I have, but the slave backend is an ATX mobo with 5 open
slots.  I plan to add at least two pvr-500's and either
a pcHDTV or Air2PC as well.

Paul