[mythtv-users] mythtvsetup and dvb

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Mar 30 05:59:37 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 29 March 2005 15:47, John Sturgeon wrote:
> Gregg wrote:
> >Thanks.  Worked like a charm. Now I have to figure out how to get
> >cx88-dvb to load at boot, I am going to modify the rc.local for now
> >until I can figure out why it is now loading.
[...]
> 2) I *never* got cx88-dvb to load at bootup, and that causes problems
> with mythbackend.  I posted this message:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/121058?do=post_view_flat
>#121058
>
> [snip]
>  With regards to the start up issue, I noticed the same thing, I think
> it's related to a delay in the loading of the cx88_dvb driver.  I put
> the following (*total hack alert*) in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
>
> modprobe cx88_dvb
> i=$((0))
> while [ $i -lt 5 ]
> do
>   if RETVAL=`lsmod | grep cx88_dvb`
>      then service mythbackend start
>      ERR=`tail /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log | grep ERROR`
>      n=$((0))
>      while [ "$ERR" != "" ]
>      do
>         n=$(($n+1))
>         sleep 7
>         service mythbackend restart
>         ERR=`tail /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log | grep ERROR`
>         if [ $n -eq 2 ] ; then
>            ERR=""
>         fi
>      done
>      i=$((5))
>   else
>      i=$(($i+1))
>      echo "waiting for cx88_dvb to load"
>   sleep 2
>   fi
> done

I have two much easier hacks, take your pick. :-)

1) create an /etc/rc.modules file containing:

#!/bin/sh
modprobe cx88_dvb

rc.sysinit looks for the existence of this file, and executes it if found,
well before mythbackend starts up.

2) add cx88_dvb to the "other" variable on line 151 of rc.sysinit, and it'll
get loaded immediates after udev starts up. This is what I'm currently doing
for the dvb-bt8xx module for my HD-2000, which also fails to auto-start
(oddly, the Air2PC driver on the same box actually loads fine without any
help)...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com