[mythtv-users] lircd stopped working

Colin Smillie csmillie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 04:44:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:40:57 -0800, Frutillar <frutillar at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 March 2005 7:26 pm, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> > do an apt-get update and apt-get install lirc-kmdl-$MYKERNEL (or
> > whatever the variable name you have set for your kernel is--see
> > Jarod's guide for this).
> I did and it says I have the latest version already loaded...
>
> # apt-get install lirc-kmdl-$KVER
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> lirc-kmdl-2.6.10-1.770_FC2 is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 40 not upgraded.

I think this is a permission problem on /dev/lirc and not a package
problem. On my system the permissions are  :

# ls -l /dev/lirc*
crw-------  1 root root 61, 0 Mar 29 23:27 /dev/lirc
crw-------  1 root root 61, 0 Mar 29 23:27 /dev/lirc0
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Mar 29 23:27 /dev/lircd

I don't recall having to chmod +rw but I've been running FC3 for
awhile with multiple versions of Lirc and ivtv.

I just applied Jarod's latest udev/sysinit patch ( updated today - Mar
29/05 ) it works great.  I no longer need to load anything lirc or
ivtv related from rc.local.

Colin