[mythtv-users] apt-get install mythtv-suite / E: Broken Packages

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 03:34:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:33:27 -0700, Garry Cook <garrycook at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:43:24 -0500, Mike Geisterfer
> <m.geisterfer at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > At 2005/03/26 - 12:35 AM, you wrote:
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >I receive the following error message when I attempt to apt-get
> > >install mythtv-suite.
> > >
> > >[root at stumpy ~]# apt-get install mythtv-suite
> > >Reading Package Lists... Done
> > >Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > >Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> > >requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> > >distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> > >or been moved out of Incoming.
> > >
> > >Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> > >the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> > >that package should be filed.
> > >The following information may help to resolve the situation:
> > >
> > >The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> > >   mythtv-suite: Depends: mythvideo (>= 0.17) but it is not going to be
> > > installed
> > >                 Depends: mythmkmovie (>= 1.0.1) but it is not going to
> > >be installed
> > >E: Broken packages
> > >
> > >I've verified my /etc/apt/sources.list file to make sure there is no
> > >kde-redhat references[root at stumpy ~]# apt-get install mythtv-suite
> > >Reading Package Lists... Done
> > >Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > >Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> > >requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> > >distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> > >or been moved out of Incoming.
> > >
> > >Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> > >the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> > >that package should be filed.
> > >The following information may help to resolve the situation:
> > >
> > >The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> > >   mythtv-suite: Depends: mythvideo (>= 0.17) but it is not going to be
> > > installed
> > >                 Depends: mythmkmovie (>= 1.0.1) but it is not going to
> > >be installed
> > >E: Broken packages
> > >
> > >I've googled around a bit and checked several links in gossamer
> > >threads.  This seems to be a frequently asked question, but I still
> > >cannot find a suitable solution.  Here's what I've tried:
> > >
> > >1. Ensure that kde-redhat is removed from /etc/apt/sources.list
> > >2 (a). rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*
> > >    (b). rpm -vv --rebuilddb
> > >3. apt-get update
> > >4. atp-get dist-upgrade
> > >5. apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=true install mythtv-suite
> > >6. Change from at-stable to at-testing, and apt-get update
> > >
> > >All of these yielded the same error message.  In this thread
> > >(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/53184?search_string=apt-get%20install%20mythtv-suite;#53184)
> > >Nathan says that he started over.  Do I just need to start over again?
> > >
> > >Here's the rest of the information:

> [...]

I made it past this issue. Don't know what ramifications it may have
in the future, but I went to Mplayer's web site and
downloaded/installed from there. I also had to install mplayer fonts
and mencoder from this location. Installed mplayer codecs as well,
just for good measure.
# apt-get install mythtv-suite
now works just fine.

Garry