[mythtv-users] MythTV w/Digital Cox Service ?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Mar 29 19:24:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:54:17PM -0800, Richard Sears wrote:
> Brad,
>
> Thanks for all the great advice.
>
> I talked to my next dorr neighbor who also has Cox digital service
> with HD and they gave him a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD which includes
> USB and two firewire ports.
>
> Hopefully this will be the same unit I get and the firewire will work
> for this. Then I can send the PVR-250 as well as the PCHDTC cards back
> or sell them.
>
> :-)

Many people are reporting success with firewire input, and it is obviously
the way to go if you can get it to work.  It is, however, a brand new
feature in Myth so expect some learning curve.    Some of the boxes
reportedly let you change channels over the firewire, which is ideal.
For some, you reportedly must use an IR blaster.

You may want to keep one of the cards, since you might want to record
more than one show at a time.  Or get multiple cable boxes I guess.

My local cable company does not provide some of the OTA stations
in high-def yet (the UPN and WB).  I don't know why, as they are
legally supposed to.