[mythtv-users] Myth/spdif no audio, mplayer works fine

David George david at thegeorges.us
Tue Mar 29 18:46:24 UTC 2005

On 3/29/2005 2:29 AM, John Patrick Poet wrote:

> I was using an old SoundBlaster Live! card, and everything worked
> fine.  I just exchanged that card for a M-AUDIO Delta 410.  Configure
> ALSA to drive it, and tested with aplay and mplayer.  Everything
> worked beautifully.
>
> Then I tried Myth.  Myth seems to "open" the sound card just fine.  It
> even seems to write to it just fine:

<snip>

> I know the S/PDIF port is working because I can use mplayer to play
> both files which just have a mp2 audio track, and files which have
> DD2.0 audio tracks.  I can use aplay to play wav files.  Everything
> works except Myth.
>
> I have AC3 passthrough turned on, and currently have ALSA:iec958 in
> the driver box.  I have also tried ALSA:default, and I have even tried
> ALSA:cards.pcm.iec958.  Myth does not complain about any of those
> setting, it just doesn't work.

Have you tried the ALSA:hw:c,d format?  Where c is the card number
(usually 0), and d is the device.  It has been a while since I looked at
devices, but I think nforce and intel are 2 and emu10k1 is 4 (or was it
0?).  What is the output of 'cat /proc/asound/devices' ?  Perhaps
compare which device number the two cards are using for digital playback
(unfortunately they usually list more than one).

You can also use ALSA:plughw:c,d if you sample rates don't match.

--
David

HDTV capable frontend I am working on (now with a picture)
  http://mythhd.info