[mythtv-users] DCT-6200 w/ FireWire -- Looking for Input..

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Mar 29 09:59:54 UTC 2005

On Monday 28 March 2005 12:51, Big Wave Dave wrote:
> > With recent optimizations, while 3GHz is still recommended in your
> > situation (combined backend/frontend) for optimal performance, its
> > certainly possible you could get away with a bit less. I have a
> > viewing-only system that is a mere 1.53GHz (Athlon XP 1800) and it
> > handles 720p programming fine (though the cpu is pretty much pegged) and
> > can *almost* keep up w/1080i and a deint filter (frequent stutter, but
> > almost watchable). I've done quite a bit of work to tweak this machine to
> > be able to get there though, its not something I'd recommend to anybody.
> > Its more just a challenge for me -- I have a very under-utilized 2600
> > proc I could put in its place, but where's the fun in that? :-)
>
> With regard to "recent optimizations", do you mean with using XV /
> XVMC or with optimization of MythTV code?

The decode performance improved in the general sense, and there's also the
option to use libmpeg2, which performs better than the traditional ffmpeg
decoding. Not sure what's changed on the XvMC front, I don't use it, but Xv
has definitely gotten more cpu-friendly.

> Are there any recommendationso n FireWire PCI cards?  I've been
> looking at all the usual places, just wanted to avoid any problematic
> ones.

Heh, NOT the on-board crap on one of my Asus boards, it didn't work worth a
damn... However, I've had good success with the FireWire port on a
SoundBlaster Audigy, as well as the card in my master backend right now,
which is a Western Digital branded card, NEC OrangeLink chipset.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...