[mythtv-users] how to select from multiple input sources?

David George david at thegeorges.us
Tue Mar 29 02:30:35 UTC 2005

Paul Leppert wrote:

>I have an HD-3000 and a PVR-250. In mythtvsetup, I have two channel
>lineups (using zap2it): one for HDTV OTA broadcast channels and one
>for DirecTV.  The HDTV lineup is attached to the HD-3000 Television
>input and the DirecTV is attached to the PVR-250 S-Video.
>
>When I am watching live tv, I can switch between the cards using 'C'.

You sure it isn't 'Y'?  C switches between inputs, Y switches between cards.

>However, when I am in the guide data, if I pick a channel that only
>exists in one lineup, mythtv doesn't automatically switch cards (in
>other words, if I'm watching local OTA channel on HD-3000 and then
>select DirecTV ESPN (channel 206), mythtv doesn't switch to the
>PVR-250 card).  Is this normal or do I have something set up
>incorrectly?  I end up having to change cards (with 'C') and then
>changing channels.

That is how it works.  This has come up in the past, but this hasn't
been a particular itch with any of the developers.  I started to look
into it at one time, but after staring at the code for a while decided
that I don't watch enough live tv to worry about it (I was actually
looking at adding this functionality for my wife).  If a patch was
written that was up to the coding standards, there is a good chance it
would be accepted.

>Eventually, I hope to have three inputs on the two capture cards: two
>DirecTV receivers on the S-Video input for each card, and one OTA HDTV
>via the HD-3000.  I was planning on setting up two channel lineups
>(the same two I have now) and just associating the DirecTV lineup
>twice (to each card's S-Video) and the OTA HDTV to the HD-3000.  Will
>this work, or will I need to set up three lineups (DTV1, DTV2, and
>HDTV)?  If I have to set up three, will myth automatically merge them
>so I won't have duplicates in my guide?

Two lineups are fine.  Just setup the one Directv lineup and assign it
to both capture cards.  This is what I do.

>On a related topic, with the DirecTV and HDTV OTA, I have multiple
>local channels (the DTV version and the HDTV OTA version of CBS, for
>instance).  Is there a way to get the HDTV version chosen before the
>DTV version (so when I record network channels, I get the HDTV version
>versus the "standard" DTV version)?  Should this be done at the
>capture card level or on a channel by channel basis?

Increase the priority level of the HDTV card in the card setup (or
increase the HDTV channel priority in the channel setup).

>Also, at the capture card, can I specify the input priority (so if I
>have both DTV on SVideo, and HDTV on Television on the HD-3000, I can
>still get the Television input to supercede the SVideo input)?

I am not sure where the mixed NTSC and ATSC support is on the HD-3000.
I know there has been work done on this recently.  I don't think it is
0.17, but it may be in CVS.  I haven't really paid attention as I use
two PVR-250 for my Directv receivers because I wanted both to record the
same way (MPEG2).  With the HD-3000 video in you will need to record in
RTJPEG or MPEG4 (unless this has changed).  Plus this will take more CPU.

--
David

HDTV capable frontend I am working on (now with a picture)
  http://mythhd.info