[mythtv-users] Limit on frontends?

Marcel Meier linux at meiersos.ch
Mon Mar 28 23:21:38 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag, 29. März 2005 00.15 schrieb Matt Mencel:
> How many frontends would I reasonably be able to connect to a AthlonXP 1500
> with 512MB RAM?
>
> I'm running a MythTV demo on Wednesday and will be attempting to run
> frontend/backend on my FC3 server with the above specs, a Mac Mini frontend,
> and an Xbox frontend.
>
> Am I going to get any stuttering or other video problems if I have all three
> playing different recordings at the same time?
>
> Just curious what kind of overhead a frontend has on a backend server.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

The limiting factor depends on different things, Playback is mainly Harddisk load for
the Backend Server so depending on what network Cabel/Wireless and Stream type
SDTV / HDTV you use it's for sure not a Problem with two Frontends. Thim means if
you have let's say about 2 GB per Hour then you need a littel bit more then 500 kByte per Second or
about 5 MBit per Second per Stream. As long as your Harddisk is in DMA mode there
will for sure be no Problem with the delivery of the Data to the Frontends

Hope this helps
Marcel