[mythtv-users] Backend "Idle" processor usage

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon Mar 28 15:27:04 UTC 2005

On 3/28/2005 6:06 AM, Dave Ansell wrote:

>     My backend system (Athlon XP 1700+) registers a processor load of
> about 0.6-0.7 when backend is idle (ie no streaming, no recording
> going on).

Seems high.  Granted I am running my backend on a P4 2.4, but my load
ave is 0.00 when idle (just now checked it to make sure).

>   The  top command indicates that virtually all this load is from the
> myth backend processes.
>
>  I have never really understood what is a "good" load average, but I
> thought it was generally best to stay below 1.  So this seems a high
> idle load.

Best to stay below 1.0 per CPU.  For example, on a dual processor system
this should be below 2.  Not that this is hyper-critical.  The load
average is the number of processes that are in the run queue.  Basically
the number of processes that could be running right now if they had
CPU.  The higher the number the more things want to run at the same
time, blah-blah-blah.  Anyway hopefully you get the idea.  There is more
to it than this, but hopefully this will give you the idea.

>   So the question is, what on earth is the backend amusing itself with
> all the time?

Good question.  I just started something to record to see what would
happen and my load avg only went up to 0.07.  This is on Fedora Core 2
with 2.6.11.2 kernel, (2) PVR-250 (ivtv 0.2.0 rc3h), P4 2.4GHz as
mentioned above, 512Meg RAM, 6 ATA hard drives (4 in LVM with XFS).

--
David

HDTV capable frontend I am working on (now with a picture)
  http://mythhd.info