[mythtv-users] Need advice with xorg.conf setup

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 01:40:41 UTC 2005

All,

I have mythtv working, for the most part, but only when my computer
when it's hooked up to the 17" flat panel display that I used for the
initial install.  I'm trying to switch over to using a TV by
connecting to the S-video-out jack on my geforce card.

Is there a preferred process for building/installing/troubleshooting
an xorg.conf file?

It seems that when I install and test an xorg file that proves to be
invalid, it hangs my system and I have to do a cold reboot. If I try
to switch back to a previous copy of xorg.conf that was known to work
(i.e., with the flat panel monitor hooked up instead of the TV, using
that copy of the xorg.conf file), the sound and/or video drivers
appear to be messed up and I have to go through loads of
retesting/reinstalling drivers to figure out what was broken...

Is it normal to see this level of frustration with xorg.conf
diagnostics?  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there some magic command
and/or procedure that I am not aware of?