[mythtv-users] Jerky Live HD3000

John Sturgeon mythtv at sturgeonfamily.com
Sun Mar 27 14:47:04 UTC 2005

Kelly wrote:

>Well, I just spent about 30 hours trying to get this configured and
>set up. I just spent about 14 hours today trying to get a "picture"
>out of my HD3000 card from an OTA HDTV signal. Only to be rewarded
>with the jerky live image....
>
>I built this system specifically for live HDTV. I bought a P4 3.0
>processor, 512 MB ram, nividia 5200, and a 250GB SATA hard drive.
>
>I followed  Jarod C. Wilson's guide (outstanding by the way) but had
>to start deviating to try and get the dvb drivers to load up. For some
>reason, after every reboot, I have to chmod -R mythtv:root /dev/dvb
>and /dev/dvb0 or the mythbackend will fail to start the DVB#0.

Kelly,

Those of us who are doing High Def can definitely identify.  There's a
challenge around every corner.  With regards to the start up issue, I
noticed the same thing, I think it's related to a delay in the loading
of the cx88_dvb driver.  I put the following (*total hack alert*) in my
/etc/rc.d/rc.local:

modprobe cx88_dvb
i=$((0))
while [ $i -lt 5 ]
do
   if RETVAL=`lsmod | grep cx88_dvb`
      then service mythbackend start
      ERR=`tail /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log | grep ERROR`
      n=$((0))
      while [ "$ERR" != "" ]
      do
         n=$(($n+1))
         sleep 7
         service mythbackend restart
         ERR=`tail /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log | grep ERROR`
         if [ $n -eq 2 ] ; then
            ERR=""
         fi
      done