[mythtv-users] No sound since upgrade

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 10:02:37 UTC 2005

> I have put this on the back burner for a long time but now I need to
> get it working.
>
> Ever since I upgraded to .17 I have no sound coming into MythTV.  I
> had it working in .16.  Whenever I view live tv, I get no sound.  I
> can playback other video that I previously ripped and get sound
> without a  problem.  I don't get sound with just Mplayer either.
>
> If I run /usr/bin/aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav it works no problem.
>
> Are there any other tests I can run?
>
> I have been through Jarod's site and searched all over but haven't
> found my problem answered.
>
> I am running FC3 64.

Not sure if this applies to you, but I have 2 sound cards and also had
this problem when I upgraded 0.16 to 0.17. In my case, the devices the
sound cards were mapped to had swapped around - ie sound card "A" had
been on /dev/dsp0 and sound card "B" had been on /dev/dsp1; A is now
on /dev/dsp1. So I then had to change the tuner card to sound card
mappings in the tuner card setup and all was well again. I've now
foudn a way to "fix" them so they can't swap aroudn again at random
later.

Also, it's possible that your mixer settings have been reset. It'd be
worth going into your mixer program and checking that your settings
are as they should be in case they somehow got changed during the
upgrade.

HTH,
Phill