[mythtv-users] Mostly OT: Pundit PSU fan died

emory emory.commerce at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 01:08:34 UTC 2005

Nick-

When you quoted $50 for a replacement PSU, was that from Hipro or
ASUS?  I've been looking into getting a replacement PSU for my
Pundit-R because it's too noisy, but it's hard to find a PSU that fits
in the Pundit's 8 x 12 x 12 cm PSU compartment.

My PSU is from Delta Electronics. I'm wondering if the Hipro ones are
any better.  Ideally, I would like something that's more efficient, as
the Delta PSU's are rated pretty low and heat up readily. I've read
rumors that ASUS might have switched PSU suppliers around the same
time that people started complaining that the Pundit was not
"virtually silent" as advertised.

I was also thinking about using an external PSU, kind of like you are
doing.  Is that actually a safe thing to do?  Can one buy a
laptop-like external power supply inteded for such use on desktops?

- emory