[mythtv-users] Two Different Backend systems talking together

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Mar 25 22:27:24 UTC 2005

Richard J. Sears wrote:

>Hey Everyone,
>
>I have a second house that I want to put MythTV into. I have a T1 at my
>first house and a 3MB dsl line in the other house.
>
>I wanted to share programs and music and stuff between the sites without
>having to have cable, the music files, etc in both places.
>
>Is there any way for one complete Myth system to talk to another and
>transfer the requested movies or music in the background fr later
>viewing..?
>
>Does someone have a good way to set this up..?

First, I would probably suggest a VPN between your locations.  This
would allow you to have both networks connected and even sharing an IP
subnet so pointing the boxes at each other is very simple.

Your best option might be creating a post-processing job for your
recordings that launches a DB query and insert from one site to the
other (depending on which site the file was recorded at) and then either
run or schedule via cron an rsync of the file.  This way, each Myth
system would have the DB entries for the recordings and once the rsync
was finished, each would have a copy of the file.  You could also
"re-execute" mythcommflag on the recording at the receiving site once
received using ssh to build the markup table and flag commercials.

I would think your music might be small enough to handle being shared
from one site to the other on demand.  As for movies, a scheduled rsync
of the video folder and export/import of the video database tables
should be enough to keep those in sysnc.  The same would apply for music
if you found the on demand sharing to be unworkable.

Kevin