[mythtv-users] Two Different Backend systems talking together

Rickard Olsson richie at webhackande.se
Fri Mar 25 14:28:07 UTC 2005

Richard J. Sears wrote:

> I wanted to share programs and music and stuff between the sites without
> having to have cable, the music files, etc in both places.
> Is there any way for one complete Myth system to talk to another and
> transfer the requested movies or music in the background fr later
> viewing..?

AFAIK there's no mechanism in place for 'requesting' movies and music
like that and the DSL is too slow for on-demand viewing over the
network, especially if you're doing HDTV...

I've been thinking about something similar between home (10mbps fiber)
and work (3mbps fiber) where I have DVB-T access at home but no TV
reception at all at work, 500GB storage in the home server and 1.2TB at
work. I'm leaning towards just having a frontend at work and the backend
at home and replicating some of the smaller media files like music
between the sites with rsync or unison.

Since I suspect money isn't a limiting factor in your case, the easiest
way to solve your problem might be to just build two storage arrays and
replicate them and the MySQL databases, effectively creating two
identical systems. But you'd need to have the same cable subscription in
both locations since both Myths would try to record the same shows. Not
really a perfect solution, I'm afraid.

OT: This sounds like the kind of feature that might be worthwhile to put
in a commercial MythTV Pro version - it's going to be a lot of work to
implement properly and pretty few people will have a use for it but
those who do might be willing to pay for the functionality.

     / Rickard Olsson,IT-Konsult/
    / Telefon: +46 70 635 01 42/
   / http://www.webhackande.se/