[mythtv-users] RE: V-Stream 2388x Compatibility

Kevin kevinaj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 15:41:21 UTC 2005

>>>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:33:58 -0500, Kevin <kevinaj at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>Has anyone gotten an V-Stream 2388x pci video capture card to work with
myth >>>yet. I received this card as a Chritsmas Gift. It is based on the
conxant cx88 chipset >>>And has only composite in (no tv tuner). This was a
cheap $20 card so I have my >>>doubts. I am running KnoppMyth on a
self-compiled 2.6.11kernel with v4l1and 2 >>>enabled. Any
tips/suggestions/success stories would be appreciated.

>>>-Kevin-
>>
>>Have you tried manually modprobing the cx88-dvb driver? If so, did it
>>fail or give any useful output? I'm sure I saw mention of V-stream in
>>the source for the driver a while back.
>>
>>As you are manually compiling your kernel, I might suggest getting a
>>recent v4l patch from here http://linux.bytesex.org/v4l2/cx88.html and
>>see if it helps at all. I would hope that the driver realised there
>>was no tuner and just gave access to the composite input.
>>
>>Hopefully another user may have better and more concrete advice for you!
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Nick
>
>I have not tried mod probing yet but I have off school today (spring break)
>so I will try your suggestions and get back shortly. Thanks for the
>suggestions
>
>-Kevin-

UPDATE:
a modprobe cx88_dvb returned: can't locate module cx88_dvb
a modprobe dvb_core returned: can't locate module dvb_core
a modprobe -all returned (my thoughts on the important modules):

/lib/modules/2.4.25-chw/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx8800.o

cx88xx.o

v4l1-compat.o

v4l2-common.o

video-buf.o

videodev.o
                 /lib/modules/2.4.25-chw/v4l2/cx8800.o

cx88xx.o

v4l1-compat.o

v4l2-common.o

video-buf.o

videodev.o

I think I may have a problem because of the 2.4.25 directory. How do I go
about updating modules? (I'm pretty new at Linux but I can manage to
basics.)

-Kevin-