[mythtv-users] Myth Praise and Newbie Encouragement

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Thu Mar 24 14:52:46 UTC 2005

I've been using Myth since version 0.15 and I have nothing but
praise for it.  I started with FC1 and used Jarods guide for my
first installs.  The first time I installed, including installation time
for FC1 it took a good 6 hours and everything worked the first
time as advertised.  These days I can do a ground up install in
less than 2 hours.

Anyway, at some point I upgraded to 0.16 (atrpms) and except
for a couple of little annoyances, once again everything worked
as expected.

Recently, I decided to split my FE/BE setup into dedicated FE
and BE machines, upgrade to 0.17, and start compiling myth
from CVS.  Using Jarods guide and information from mythtv.org
everything went as expected and after a few hours I had working
BE and FE machines running FC2 (just because I didn't have a
set of FC3 CDs handy) and using 0.17.

While there have been a few little hiccups here and there, all were
minor and fixed within a short amount of time.  Sometimes with
help from people here on this list sometimes using my own skill
set.

I just wanted to thank the devs for a great piece of software and
encourage newbies out there to stick with it if you have problems.
The one thing I can suggest is read, re-read, and re-read again all
of the documentation before starting your setup and follow the
instructions to the *T* and you'll save yourself a bunch of headaches.

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown