[mythtv-users] Mythtv DVD changer integration

kedlm at charter.net kedlm at charter.net
Thu Mar 24 12:18:16 UTC 2005

>   I am planning to use the video section of mythtv to
> manage my dvd collection in my 400 disc dvd changer.
> I also want the myth system to control the dvd
> changer.
Sounds neat; what DVD changer do you have? I've thought about this myself.

>   What I planned was this:
>
>  Put text files in the video section of the hard drive
> on the myth system containing the disc number of the
> movie.  When the movie is selected instead of running
> mplayer, a program will launch which sends ir codes to
> the dvd player if it's a DVD movie.
I do something similar.  For mythvideo and mythdvd I have a small bash script that runs instead of xine/mplayer directly.  It looks at the extention of the file it was passed to do different things: play a file in mplayer or xine, play a list of files, play an entire dir.

You could easily do something like that and have it do "something" if it sees "some cool movie.changer" for instance.

> Otherwise it will
> launch mplayer with the name of the file.  I'd also
> like a program that would intercept IR codes from the
> remote and translate them and re-send them to the DVD
> player so I can use the myth remote for the dvd
> changer.

I'm not sure what codes you need to intercept/send:  pause/rew/ff/left/right/up/down/select/menu/stop?

I'm sure you can do this pretty easily from what I've done with LIRC.
My system includes a receiver and blaster and you could hook them together with a shell script or C program.

But this brings up another question: where does the video/audio from this thing go?  into a video/audio-in in the computer? (not really worth it unless you want to record it; it won't look as good) or directly into the tv and you need to have the tv switch inputs when the changer plays? (sounds more likely; but are you going to IR blast the TV to switch back and forth?)

Sounds interesting; I may want to setup the same thing.