[mythtv-users] Extremely High CPU with Live TV - Myth 0.17

Jeff_Logica jeff_logica at e-mailanywhere.com
Thu Mar 24 11:28:56 UTC 2005

I have been following the forum for some time, and have been very interested
in peoples cpu loads.  I have searched the forum and tried everything listed
with no luck.  I have a combined Frontend/Backend system.  I was able to
watch Picture in Picture with some chop back in Myth 0.15, but it has got
progressivly worse with each upgrade.  I believe, based on other peoples
results, that I have messed a setting up, but for the life of me can not
find which one(s).  I have not yet attempted to try watching HD TV, this is
all based on SD Digital (Australia).  I am really interested in getting this
sorted,as I'm hoping to build an XBox Frontend over the next few weeks, but
obviously don't want it to suffer the same problems.  I have tried the
different DeInterlace, etc settings to no avail.

The CPU Load, as shown by kcpuload is
When idle		0%
Recording 1 Card	2-3%
Recording 2 Card	4-6%
Watching Live/Record TV	86-90%
Watching Live TV + PIP	93-96% (Very stuttery)
Watching Live TV + Recording	90-96%
Watching Video (Mostly DivX 5) (MythVideo calling MPlayer) 10-19%

This is a standard (Pentium Pro) compile of myth and associated bits, based
on the comments in the myth documentation (Installing and using MythTV,
section 5.1) I have not compiled optimised for the Athlon XP, since the
documentation seems to indicate that it doesn't optimize correctly.

I am just using the default Myth settings for the recording, which I think
is RTJpeg and MP3.

Box Specs:
Myth 0.17
Mandrake 10.1 - Kernel 2.6.3-19mdk, Kde 3.2
2 VisionPlus VisionDTV DVB Cards (Bt878)
3 IDE HDD
- hda - Seagate 80GB - OS + MythMusic - Primary Master
- hdb - Seagate 200GB - MythVideo      - Primary Slave
- hdc - Western Digital 200GB - MythTV - Ring Buffer and Recorded TV -
Secondary Master
Graphics - GeForce FX 5200
Memory - 756MB
CPU - AMD Athlon XP 1600+
Motherboard - Asus A7N266 VM
Sound - On Board

Any help in getting the CPU load down so I can atleast wacth PIP would be
very much appreciated.  I am, based on others mileage, assuming that this is
possible.

Thanks, (Sorry for the long post)
Jeff.