[mythtv-users] X Dispaly Size too large for my TV?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 04:18:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:00:28 -0500, Tony Paterra <apaterra at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen a few mentions of overscanning and issues with X and
> mythfrontend displaying bigger than an NTSC screen size (720x480).
> The behavior I'm currently noticing is that TV playback seems to fit
> on the screen properly, but when I view X or the mythfrontend GUI they
> are slightly larger than the screen.  My XF86Config file is below if
> that can help at all:
>
> I tried playing with the mythfrontend Appearance settings and noticed
> that I could pull the resolution down a bit and get everything on the
> screen, but the top/bottom of the X desktop would be visible then.
>
> -Should I just readjust my X display settings?
> -If so how do I do that?
> -Will this affect my capture resolution?
>
> Add'l info:
> Slackware 9.1
> Athlon 1200
> Myth-0.16
> PVR-350 using ivtv-0.2.0rc2q
>
> As always whatever help is appreciated greatly.

<snipped>

Tony,

The ivtv X driver does not support overscan adjustment yet, so there
is nothing you can do in the X config AFAIK. However, running
mythfrontend in a window, then adjusting its size and placement
[offset] allows you to get the whole of mythfrontend on screen with no
desktop showing. Playback of live TV or recordings from the 350 is
unaffected, and this seems the easiest way to have things setup
(currently the way I have it running, after having been through the
same fun getting it all setup).

There are some differences in the way the offset is handled if the
frontend is not run in a window - KDE does not support offset
adjustments from within mythfrontend if run fullscreen, whereas other
WMs such a ratpoison do IIRC.

Changing the X setup resolution will not affect your capture res (this
is defined in mythtv card setup) but may cause problems when using the
X driver, which I think expects predetermined resolutions (one for
NTSC, one for PAL) to run.

HTH,
Nick