[mythtv-users] Understanding how video cards and X work together

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 01:41:15 UTC 2005

Your onboard video card and the PVR-350 are not
related in any way.  You would play the DVD using
either the onboard video card, or the PVR-350, but
onboard video card will not use the PVR-350 (or
vice-versa).  (I'm not quite sure what you mean in
this post, you can't really daisy chain your video
card and the PVR-350, they are seperate devices).

A new video card would likely get you Xv (XVideo)
support - the PVR-350 does not have this (or, at least
it did not when I last used it).  If you have a slow
CPU, then definitely Xv will help out.

For regular X usage, the PVR-350 is a framebuffer,
with no acceleration.  Depending on the software you
use for DVD playback on the PVR-350, you will most
likely be using the unaccelerated framebuffer.  This
would not help out your situation at all, it will
still be jittery.  As a reference point, xine
complained that on a PVR-350, it was dropping frames,
even though I had an Athlon XP 2400+ (although I
couldn't really notice the frame drop).

I'm pretty sure that I read on the ivtv list that
they're working on a xine extension for the PVR-350,
which would allow for hardware accelerated MPEG-2 from
the DVD, but I don't know what the status on that is.

-- Joe