[mythtv-users] (no subject)

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 22:17:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:06:57 -0800, Don <dlw3 at tds.net> wrote:
> Can someone please help me with this.
> All I need mysql for is to run mythtv.
>
> To use SET PASSWORD on Unix, do this:
>
> shell> mysql -u root
> mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'localhost' = PASSWORD('newpwd');
> mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'host_name' = PASSWORD('newpwd');
>
> In the second SET PASSWORD statement, replace host_name with the name of
> the server host. This is the name that is specified in the Host column
> of the non-localhost record for root in the user table. If you don't
> know what hostname this is, issue the following statement before using
> SET PASSWORD:
>
> mysql> SELECT Host, User FROM mysql.user;
>
> Look for the record that has root in the User column and something other
> than localhost in the Host column. Then use that Host value in the
> second SET PASSWORD statement.
>
> mysql> SELECT Host, User FROM mysql.user;
> +-----------+--------+
> | Host      | User   |
> +-----------+--------+
> | %         | mythtv |
> | localhost |        |
> | localhost | root   |

Most likely you can find out the hostname by executing 'hostname'
(without the quotes) from the command line on the machine that is
running mysql.

Also, in the future you should NEVER send a post to the list with no
subject line.  It just so happens that I'm bored at the moment and was
curious what was in your post, but nine times out of ten no one is
going to read the post, let alone replay to it, if you don't include a
subject line giving at least a vague idea of what your question is.

Brad