[mythtv-users] Cheap GeForce4 MX 440

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 22:06:36 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 16:56, Will Dormann wrote:
> Shawn Asmussen wrote:
> >
> > Anybody thinking about getting one of these should keep in mind that
> > significant number of people (including myself) have had problems
with
> > the MX 440 and Nvidia's more recent driver versions. Unless you're
> > really trying hard to save the money, my recommendation would be to
> > shell out the extra $30 or so and get at least a 5200.
>
> What sort of problems?
>
> I'm running an MX4000 (Die-shrunk MX 440) with no real problems.

Different revision of the GF4 MX 440 use(d) different TV encoder chips
for their TV-out.  Depending on who you ask, some are great and some
suck.

My original LeadTek GF4 MX 420 used an NV17 encoder chip, which was
probably about as good as I could have wanted without going to a
PVR-350 or DVI/component.

My new(er) on-board (Chaintech 7NIF2) GF4 MX 440 uses an NV18 encoder,
which IMHO really sucks.

Just my $.02.

-JAC