[mythtv-users] Question about HDTV

Howard Cokl hojoloco at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 16:18:30 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 05:57, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
> > Thanks for all the info.  Unfortunately I think I am stuck with an HDTV
> > that isn't going to play nicely with my mythbox.  Using the 9A60 the
> > picture is less fubar than with the VHDC300 but basically everywhere
> > except the center of the screen has convergence problems.  With the
> > VHDC300 the picture was offset a couple of inches to the left and any
> > attempt to adjust to the right on the VHDC300 resulted in no picture.
> > The 9A60 doesn't have any external adjustments, don't know about inside,
> > don't want to open it up cause I wouldn't know what I'm doing anyway.  I
> > also tried using an MX400 last night hooked up to the 9A60 with the same
> > results.  So basically I am receiving HDTV content and watching it on my
> > HDTV using S-Video.
> > I don't think that the 9A60 is broken but my logic coming to this
> > conclusion is flawed since I am basing that on the fact that the VHDC300
> > worked fine with an RCA DTC100 and the 9A60 works better than the VHDC300
> > with myth.  Oh well, thanks for your help maybe I'll look into getting an
> > nvidia 6200 with component out.
> >
> > --
>
>   It certainly sounds like your A960 or (gulp) TV has issues.  If
> you provide a proper frequency signal (e.g. regular VGA=480p), it should
> "just work."  What happens when you just connect the Y cable?  You should
> get a nice monochrome signal.  If you still have convergence issues on
> that, you can say it's the TV (or a horribly bad sync signal from the
> A960 causing the TV to "not quite sync").
>
> -Cory

> * Cory Papenfuss                                                        *
> * Electrical Engineering candidate Ph.D. graduate student               *
> * Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University                   *

This is kind of hard to explain but here it goes.  When I boot up and the BIOS
is doing it's initial checking, RAM, IDE devices, etc the picture is great no
convergence at all, after the BIOS finishes, the screen flickers then when
the device listing comes up the convergence is off and the lines are warped.
So all of this is happening before I even get into the OS.  I tried just the
Y cable and got the same results, tried the onboard video, same results.  I'm
starting to think it's a motherboard issue more than anything else.
Thanks again for your help.

Howard

--
Howard Cokl