[mythtv-users] nuvexport - dvd

Ramon Redondo malinon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 17:56:23 UTC 2005

> '-f dvd' in DVD.pm gives me error:
>
> ffmpeg had critical errors:
> Unknown input or output format: dvd
>
> If I change it to '-target dvd' – it seems ok
>
> Sigurd

There are two things going on here:
1)  You still probably want to get '-f dvd' to work.  A lot of the
standard distributions of FFMPEG are either too old to have this
enabled, or have it disabled due to GPL issues.  It looks like the
best way to fix this is to either: Get a newer version of ffmpeg (I'm
using 0.4.9-pre1) from your distribution.  In the case of Gentoo I
believe that the ~x86 version has the -f dvd option working, but I'm
not certain.  IF the newer version does not work for you, building
ffmpeg yourself will yield the results you need, once you have the
correct configuration options.

2)  '-target dvd' is an option that I seem to need on my own system
for the MPG to be properly seekable in xine or even when using 'mythv
SOMEFILE.mpg'.  '-target dvd' does set some specific options within
ffmpeg, some of which cannot be set any other way.  I never got around
to narrowing down the specific item needed for seeking to work for me.
 BUT, regardless, this has a different purpose than the '-f dvd'
option.  Chris has been looking at whether '-target dvd' needs to be
added in, but since most users don't seem to NEED it, it probably
hasn't been a high priority.