[mythtv-users] Lite-On IR Keyboard and Learning Remotes

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Tue Mar 22 14:17:01 UTC 2005

>>> "David Levine" <curiouskangaroo at gmail.com> 03/22/05 9:01 AM >>>
>I bought a LiteOn keyboard from NewEgg.  Here's the relevant line
>from my order confirmation email:
>
>KB LITE-ON|MULTMEDIA SK7551PS2 IR R  (Qty=1,Price=$17.25)

Yep, that's the one I have.  I was able to successfully teach my
MX-500 the basic functionality (up, down, left, right) last night
after about 20 tries.  I've got one of the airboards on order
to see if this is any easier.

>And the remote I'm using with it is the Sony RM-VL900.  You
>should be able to get one of those for $25 or less on eBay.

I used to have one of these.  Kinda limited, and my backlight
burned out.  Also, the remote "feels" cheap.

<snip>

>The RM-VL900 has a TON of memory - every button is
>programmable several times over (i.e. once for each of 8
>components, like TV, VCR, DVD, etc).  The only problem
>with it is that the number of actual buttons on the remote
>is too limited to take advantage of every possible MythTV
>function.  You can get around this by programming each
>button to activate several different functions depending
>on which component you have selected.  That might
>mean pressing two buttons on the remote to access a
>certain function, however.

I got around this limitation by programming the TV button
with most of the functions, and some of the overflow
functions to the VCR button.  That's really why I got
rid of it for the MX-500.

>Basically, I've programmed the remote just once
>(under the "TV" component) with the most common
>functions I use for Myth.  I keep the keyboard itself
>under the bed (this is for my bedroom FE) to use for
>the rarer functions.

I think it is so much easier to just have a keyboard
IR interface and not have to worry about LIRC.
Although, I do have LIRC working on one of my
Frontends where I never do any of the
advanced stuff.  Just navigate and select.

Paul