[mythtv-users] OT: 160 gig WD - $40

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 21:47:04 UTC 2005

No no, I think you got the quoting confused (either that or I did, in
which case oops)

*I* don't have any problem with drive space. I'm the one with 4
channels of IDE (2 drives per channel). I was just agreeing with what
he said about the problem, in that without a free PCI slot or IDE
channel,  USB is an ok option.

When 7 harddrives and 1 dvdr is too many for my poor case and not
enough for me, I'll get an NFS server :-)

 - Jeff

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:40:44 -0600, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson at cox.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 16:09 -0500, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:02:01 -0500, sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com
> > <sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > With a lack of PCI slots and IDE channels, USB seems like the next
> > available option.
>
> Too bad that firewire isn't built onto your mobo.  It's 2x faster
> than "high speed" USB2.
>
> > I personally would have opted for an external NFS server before paying
> > for external drives, however. Gigabit or even 100 meg ethernet should
> > be reasonably fast for video, especially if it's dedicated and on a
> > switch, and you can get an NFS server running on a pretty low-end
> > system (assuming it supports large drive capacities, of course). Plus
> > it gives you future expandability (and you can seperate your
> > frontend/backend like that as well)
>
> So why not do it?  You are correct that switched 100Mbps Ethernet
> is more than adequate for the task.
>
> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson, LA USA
> PGP Key ID 8834C06B I prefer encrypted mail.
>
> "'Reckless discharge of a gun', that's what the officers are
> claimin'.
> Bubba hollered, 'Reckless, hell!!! I hit just where I was
> aimin'!"
> Mark Chesnutt, "Bubba Shot The Jukebox"

email me if you want a gmail invite, I have some invites