[mythtv-users] OT: 160 gig WD - $40

sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com
Mon Mar 21 21:02:01 UTC 2005

I use 4 IDE drives on the motherboard's (2) IDE controllers. Using them as a stripe set in their master-slave configuration is fine, even for my VideoToaster which does uncompressed D1 NTSC/PAL video. I don't quite think it is as fast as 60 MB/s, but if I remember right the test utility reported an average of ~52 MB/s... until about 40% of drives were used then it quickly dropped down to ~26-22 MB/s. I'm still wondering how USB 2.0 would do... yes it'd be a permanent connection, and cheaper than SCSI, and possibly cheaper than SATA, especially since I have no open PCI slots, but available USB 2.0 ports.