[mythtv-users] Modprobe.conf not executing??

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Mar 21 17:15:35 UTC 2005

On Monday 21 March 2005 05:30, Mogens Lunde wrote:
> I have the problem that after a boot, the video device /dev/video0 does not
> exist. I then restart ivtv manually: "# /sbin/modprobe ivtv", and then the
> video device is installed and can be seen with "# ll /dev/video?"

Classic udev problem.

> Shouldn't ivtv start automatically based on my settings in modprobe.conf
> (see below in email)?

Yes and no. This has been covered many times on this list in the recent past.
Basically, in pre-udev systems, trying to access a device node triggered the
module loading. The device node doesn't exist, so that doesn't work anymore.
You have several ways around it. First, you can create a static device node
in /etc/udev/devices/. Second, you can create a file /etc/rc.modules and
place a line reading simply "ivtv" in it. Third, you can modprobe ivtv from
rc.local. Fourth, you can use my rc.sysinit patch. Fifth, you can patch ivtv
so that it reports "CAPTURE" to the kmodule utility RH/FC uses to determine
what modules to load on a udev system.

The fifth route is ultimately the best, this is how bttv gets loaded. I
haven't had time to look into this much yet myself to see what changes are
needed. I can vouch that the fourth route works quite well (currently using
it on several boxes), but the third may be a better one, since it doesn't
involve patching a core system component.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...