[mythtv-users] Too slow?

Craig Partin cpartin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:13:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:05:45 -0500, Mario L <superm1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You would have much better luck with a graphics card, I'd say pick one
> up from a local retailer with a 30 day return exchange policy, give it
> a shot and see how it works for you.  Also use a more lightweight
> window manager, KDE is much extra bloat that you dont need running on
> such a weak frontend.
>
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:56:45 -0000, Mike Curtis
> <Mike.Curtis at glcweb.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I had a PII 400 MHz system given to me and I wonder if the more
> > knowledgeable among the group could advise me.
> >
> > The CPU supports only MMX1
> > The M/B has the SIS 620 Chipset
> > The M/B has onboard graphics (Using 8MB Main Memory)
> > Total memory fitted as of now 128MB
> > (Myth-Suite 0.17)
> >
> > X/KDE runs fine with no visual defects but display of live TV and
> > recorded TV from my existing Backend, stutters with prebuffer pauses and
> > there is a broad Mauve vertical bar on the right side of the screen
> >
> > I would like to use this as a remote Frontend
> >
> > Would I be better off using a PCI Graphics card (if so any
> > recommendations)
> >
> > Or am I wasting my time?
> >
> > Mike

I have a frontend running on a pre coppermine 500Mhz Celeron.  I doubt
it has much more power than your PII.  You might have to spend some
time tweaking to get every last bit of perfomance out of that box, but
it should be do-able.  My box does have 512MB of memory, and I run
gentoo, so everything is optimized for my hardware.  It plays 480x480
at 4500Kbs mpeg2 recordings over the network with no stutter or
pre-buffering pauses.