[mythtv-users] Appropriate video modes for widescreen TV-out

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Mon Mar 21 14:44:09 UTC 2005

I feel like I am missing some of the fundamentals on how the TV-out
works on video cards - is it directly affected by modelines, or is it
basically doing something a bit on its own so only partially affected by
the modelines (ie resolution set by modeline, but the scan rates etc
done elsewhere)?  I'd really appreciate any pointers to basic
information on this.

The specific problem I have is getting an appropriate X config for a
NVidia GeForce MX4000 driving a UK PAL-I widescreen TV through SVideo
(initially - I may move to direct VGA->RGB/SCART if the quality via
SVideo is grotty).  Ideally I want to run the beast as widescreen with
the right sort of aspect ratios.

	Nigel.