[mythtv-users] Re: Energy Usage of MythBoxes

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Sun Mar 20 14:15:37 UTC 2005

> Yes, and by these numbers, it should go to show mom's old
> rant was true.  We don't own stock in the electric company.
> Turning off a few of those 60-100 watt light bulbs in rooms
> you aren't in would probably more than offset the cost of an
> added mythbox.  Especially for frontend-only systems.  I'd
> wager your CRT TV/monitor consumes more than your Mythbox.
>
> -Khanh

Your typical 19 inch CRT monitor draws about 500 watts. They draw close to
1000 watts at startup (mostly due to filiment startup current and the
degausing coil). Your newer lcd displays draw less than 150 watts so there
is a huge savings energy wise. BTW your typical television draws about the
same current as the same size crt monitor. Function wise they are nearly
identical so you would expect the currents to be about the same too.

Bill