[mythtv-users] RE: [ Matrox G400 ] VGA - SCART cable WAS: Hotwo enable flicker filters

Bernd Müller caret at gmx.de
Sun Mar 20 01:48:42 UTC 2005

Hello;

I didn't build the cable until yet. But will do next days. Your last posting was
a little bit scarring me, as you wrote that your informations are "only"
hypothetical. Up to this point i've had believed you had build this cable and
are using it successfully with the G400. As i've had spent so much  time in the
G400 and had also build three different VGA-SCART cables, which all do not
worked for me, my motivation was not so high to test an new hypothetical cable.
But as Peter wrote he is using this cable, although with a simple CAT5 wire, i
will now hot my soldering iron.
I've to solve an other problem before. I'm not eble to find any valid PAL
modeline for X. I tried the following ones

Modeline "768x576" 14.767 768 769 839 945 576 577 581 625 interlace -csync
Modeline "768x576i" 14.75 768 784 864 944 576 582 588 625 interlace -csync
Modeline "720x576" 13.875 720 744 808 888 576 582 588 625 interlace -csync

but get

(==) MGA(0): Min pixel clock is 12 MHz
(==) MGA(0): Max pixel clock is 360 MHz
(II) MGA(0): PAL TV: Using hsync range of 15.00-80.00 kHz
(II) MGA(0): PAL TV: Using vrefresh value of 50.00 Hz
(II) MGA(0): Clock range:  12.00 to 360.00 MHz
(II) MGA(0): Not using mode "768x576" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) MGA(0): Not using mode "768x576i" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) MGA(0): Not using mode "720x576" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)

This is a little bit confusing me, because minimal dotclock is 12 MHz. The modes
should be all valid. I've i general problems to use any interlaced mode for X.
If i try some non-interlaced 720x576 at 50Hz modes with dotclocks around 27 MHz X
will accept them. But they are not interlaced. Interpreting the above error
message i would say, the G400 is not able to generate PAL dotclocks around 14
MHz. But from web i know the card is capable.

I'm using the latest version 4.1 of the original Matrox driver.
The importend lines from my XF86Config:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Device[1]"
   Driver      "mga"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier  "PAL TV"
   HorizSync  30.0-80.0
   VertRefresh 15.0
   Modeline "768x576" 14.767 768 769 839 945 576 577 581 625 interlace -csync
   Modeline "768x576i" 14.75 768 784 864 944 576 582 588 625 interlace -csync
   Modeline "720x576" 13.875 720 744 808 888 576 582 588 625 interlace -csync
EndSection

The matroxfb support is compiled in the kernel, but X don't use the framebuffer
with this configuration. So i assume it dosn't matter.

At least i would like to use the G400 with this general VGA-SCART cable. The
solution with the framebuffer, i'm using it until yet, is frustrating me. First
i've spend much time to configure kernel, frambuffermode and X, soldering the
special matrox VGA-SCART cable an now i've to notice the whole setup does not
work reliable. Changing framebuffermode, setting the registers for contrast, hue
ist working in general bu sometimes not. Sometimes i simply get a greyscale or
distorted image. Assigning frambuffermode or contrast a seconed time leads to a
good image. I don't know if the problem is in hardware or software. But i know a
solution using the general VGA-SCART cable has to be more reliable and more
flexible 'cause some newer grafic cards, especially the ATI Radeon 7500 and
higher, are supposed to be capable to generate valid PAL/NTSC signals

(c; bernd